Monday, July 7, 2008

The lights in my life...

I love kids. From toddlers to young adults. Maybe its the exposure i gained when i was involved in projects related to child welfare and development..from treating children during medical camps in the jungles of sabah, to organising welfare projects in the jungles of sarawak, to conducting activity & tuition classes for orphans, to teen youth classes for BRATs :) , to human value classes for children, to teambuildings for young adults...anything related to kids.

Its truly amusing to see how cheeky my kids can get, and at times, play along with them. Its rewarding to see them grow into useful adults who serve other humanitarian bodies such as UNDP, ILO, Red Cross, etc. I suppose its that sense of satisfaction i get when i see them becme useful, caring citizens. I feel that's the least i can do to play my part in making the world a better place - to guide and grow a group of kids into young sensible adults, who will in turn, spread the message of love someday.

The challenge in dealing with kids, really lies in dealing with the misguided ones - the ones who have been abused, the ones from broken homes, the ones who are influenced with drugs & alcohol, the ones who, due to no fault of theirs but the circumstances in their life, fell onto the wrong path in life.

These are the kids who always have a special place in my heart...whom i will always keep reaching out to..for I believe, no kid is born bad and all these kids need is the right care and attention. Someone to pat him on his back, for the one good thing he did, despite the 10 bad things he may have done. Someone to share the joy of 1 small achievement, so that he will strive to achieve 10 more. Being an indian myself, and from a family who believes in the horoscope horror-scope, i tell you, no horoscope should tell you what is to become of a child from the time he is born. We are all the results of the circumstances we grow up in, the choices we make in life.

I suppose its the 'feel good factor' i get when i see all my kids grow to be good, independant, creative & capable adults is what motivates me to continue to work along this path of shild development. Further inspired by my troubled, misguided kids. And so...the dream to run an orphanage of sorts still lives on...veer zara...hehehe...

Some of the kids who light up my life...

P1000789

P1010010Picture_027Dsc00047P1000763P1010064Picture_013_1P1010065

No comments: