Friday, January 30, 2009

Katak keluar tempurung...

It's been about 9 months away from home. In the past 9 months, i have gone through a dengue attack, lived like a nomad - out of suitcases, in 2 different inns before finally settling into an apartment on our soon-to-be opened island resort. It has indeed been an exciting, and enriching 9 months.
"Katak keluar tempurung" (frog-came-out-of-coconut-shell...hehe...direct translation) is a malay idiom that refers to a person who has finally come out of his/her shell...which in this case, "katak" (frog)is yours truly! :) Having never left Malaysia and in fact family for all my life...taking this step and moving out on my own, was a big step. Naturally, my family freaked out...their youngest baby bird, finally flying out of the nest to chase her dreams...hehe...think they never expected that from me....ya maybe KL, or back to Sabah...but never really out of th ecountry altogether...moreso since im pretty much a homebody.
Anyway, this whole move was indeed a very big thing for me. SO many thoughts crossed my mind...i even felt like an "anak derhaka" for leaving my parents when they are so much older and forgetful and all. So many times, i felt i should go back and be looking after them...i mean, afterall, they sacrified so much for my sis and i, to give us everything we needed and wanted! But after sometime here, reality sets into me. Im no longer the little bird, and after all the sacrifices my family has made for me, i should strive to soar the greatest heights possible....
Living on my own has really been value-add for my personal development. Its nice to have the time to be on your own, to face challenges on your own, to make decisions and take risks alone, the fear of not having family or close friends nearby to lean on or depend on...it all comes in a very enriching package. THough its only been 9 months...i honestly see the difference in myself.

No comments: